What is Digital Transformation?
Digital Transformation is not another IT project in your portfolio. It is the journey towards the future of work. It is not a destination per se. It is a mindset and a set of business practices that enable organizations to evolve in time. Digitally transforming the organization entails the use of technology in new ways. Whether it’s about improving an organization’s internal and external business operations, or revamping products and services, the goal is to reinforce effectiveness and efficiency. Digital Transformations demand an organization-wide commitment and ongoing executive sponsorship. Before embarking we need a clear vision to be supported by operational, technological, cultural and behavioral changes.
How does Digital Transformation work?
Digital Transformation is hardly linear. Stages do exist, but many coincide. Here are some of the phases that we can find ourselves in when amidst a Digital Transformation journey:
- Identification Stage. During this stage we identify areas where digital enablement is meaningful to the business and should be brought into play. This does not entail everything and anything. It does rely on critically reviewing processes and opportunities to figure out which of them are suitable for digitization, while determining technologies that could be used in each case.
- Planning Stage. A lot of thinking goes into this stage. This is the phase where we lay out the masterplan, we dive deeper into critical paths, interrelations, goals and implementation strategies. We discuss the change management tracks. We identify stakeholders and set up key performance indicators. It is important that everyone involved understands the importance of their roles and how they fit into the overall picture. The more effort invested here, the smoother the implementation stage will be.
- Implementation Stage. Many organizations feel that once implementation starts, planning and identification are over. This is hardly the case in the real world. Sure, we set our sails to deliver what has been planned, but this is a deeply iterative process with a lot of experimentation, A-B testing, fast-failing and collaborative work. The most important thing here is to ensure that our work produces the impact envisioned, not digitizing steps for the sake of it.
- Evaluation Phase. This stage transcends the entire transformation journey. We don’t just wait until the end to evaluate whether objectives have been met. Part of the art and craft that digital transformation is, stems from our boldness to continuously revisit our judgements and checking our biases to ensure that progress is not being made at the expense of real business impact.
Why is Digital Transformation important for your company?
Whether it’s early stages or well underway, all businesses are already engaged in some phase of a digital transformation. Systems, processes, workflows, and culture are all part of this journey. But this is not an end-state. Organizations who are deliberate about their digital transformation journey enjoy a series of business-critical benefits:
- They offer better customer experiences
- They make better decisions powered by data-driven insights
- Their operation encourages collaboration and optimizes employee experience and culture
- They run leaner teams where increased agility fosters innovation
- They take pride in developing next-gen business capabilities
How can Human Centered help?
We place the human at the center of HR strategy, and ensure people efforts remain business-relevant. We work with you to co-create the HR strategy that aligns with your business goals and maturity.
We tailor the approach to your specific needs, and are always willing to provide you with the latest HR solutions towards addressing both your strategic and operational needs, even the most challenging ones. Our experts will assist you with transforming and optimizing the strategic axes of your HR scope of work following a holistic approach to talent management, considering every aspect of the organization, and mostly its people.